Our Mission & Vision
Oasis USA is inspired by the life of Jesus Christ to work for a just and inclusive world through advocacy and community development. Our vision is for communities to be a safe place where the marginalized can experience freedom and fullness of life. We work in eleven countries and over 55 communities around the world providing community based initiatives that help children at risk, vulnerable women and survivors of human trafficking overcome the challenges of poverty and oppression.
- Ending: ‘to proclaim release to the captives…to let the oppressed go free…’ Taking action to stop these horrible injustices from happening.
- Trafficking: Human trafficking is defined as persons subject to (1) sex trafficking in which a commercial sex act is induced by force, fraud, or coercion, or in which the person induced to perform such acts is under age 18 or (2) the recruitment, harboring, transportation, provision, or obtaining of a person for labor or services, through the use of force, fraud, or coercion, for the purpose of subjection to involuntary servitude, peonage, debt bondage, or slavery. The U.S. State Department estimates that between 14,500 and 17,500 people are trafficked into the United States each year. This does not include the many children, women and men trafficked within the country such as the estimated 100,000 American children in prostitution.
- One Community: Trafficking is a global problem with a local face. This global crime is most effectively addressed when local communities begin to respond to the specific issues in their area. The challenge is to assist local people take local action against human trafficking within their communities.
- At a Time: A complicated problem will require a complicated response. This work will be slow and deliberate. Trafficking is a $30 billion industry with very complex criminals who are well financed and have the best technology. We will focus on helping one community respond to trafficking at a time.
- Equality. Differences in personality, culture, background, experience and worldview are respected.
- Inclusion. Those on the fringes who are in some way excluded are deliberately sought out and included.
- Open Relationships. Healthy, transparent and open relationships among all those we interact with, including a willingness to forgive and be forgiven, are fostered.
- Integration. The needs of the whole person, and whole community within their environment are considered.
- Sacrifice. Doing what it takes to serve both individuals and the communities with whom we work.
- Hope and Perseverance. Despite existing circumstances, an atmosphere of hope and an attitude of perseverance is pervasive.
- Innovation. New ideas, and approaches are welcome and risk taking is common.
- Excellence. Whatever we do, we do it to the best of our ability.
Our vision is for community - a place where everyone is included, making a contribution and reaching their God-given potential.
Oasis Global Mission Statement
Oasis is committed to working in an inclusive, integrated, empowering and comprehensive way so that all people experience wholeness and fullness of life.
- Local communities that are characterized by high levels of trust, safety, cohesion, mutual support, vibrancy, health and opportunity, and have increasing capacity to address their own issues.
- The prevention of people being excluded from community and those that are, brought back a into community where they can find wholeness and fullness of life.
- The replication of models that effectively contribute to community transformation.